Retro Lounge Garage

Re: Retro Lounge Garage

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm

That's why I like Jay Leno. The guy has been a car guy since he was a kid and he's made the money to experience high end ownership. He says some of the worst cars he ever bought were show cars. The owner never ran them. The gasoline turns to varnish, the coolant starts to corrode parts, moving parts start to lose their lubrication and mobility. I saw him with some kid that bought an old motorcycle and converted it to electricity. The thing was Dennis the Menanced together on a low budget by a kid and Jay was as fascinated with what the kid had done on his own than he was with a million dollar collectable car. I thought that was cool.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 pm

DONNIEP wrote:See that's just the thing. A lot of hot rodders are car snobs. Basically if you don't spend a ton of money patching up a POS rusted out body then you don't belong in the club. And they look down on kit cars too. Now the kit car thing I can understand, to a point. The industry didn't really get its act together until the 90s. But the kits you can buy today are, for the most part, no different than the hot rod that Joe Blow can go buy at one of the hot rod shops around the country. Most of those aren't all original anyway so there's really no difference except most kits package most of what you need so you get it all at one time. But there's still that prejudice against fiberglass bodies. And really, a large percentage of kits are sold now as turn-key minus. Meaning they're completely built and finished, minus the engine and trans. And, of course, most manufacturers have a string of authorized dealers that'll slap any engine and trans in the thing and you're done.

Yeah I've experienced the car snobs. I'm a maverick. I drive what I like and I do things my way and hey it's nice to get a compliment in a parking lot but I'm not out to impress people or fit in with a club. I try not to be a snob myself. Sometimes there is that car you just have to make fun of but hey, life is short and we need to laugh. The people I really respect are the real fabricators. The guys who can make their own parts and take bare sheet metal and make body panels and tanks. Most of these guys hate the snob thing too. In fact, I have found the people with the most talent tend to be the ones with less attitude.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Well, it finally started snowing here at the Retro Lounge Garage Southern Headquarters...

DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

We get kinda weird weather down here. Yesterday it was 62, not a cloud in the sky. Had the top down, nice day for it. And today it's colder'n hell and snowing, lol. I shoulda known it was gonna snow though because we had a thunderstorm 2 weeks ago. Anytime we have a thunderstorm in the dead of winter it snows within about 2 weeks. And we don't get many thunderstorms in the winter.

You can see the grille insert I put on the Spyder in that shot. I like it. And there's the 1983 Van Halen California license plate on the SUV behind it. I still need to bring the ride height down just about two inches on the Eclipse. I don't know why they set it so high at the factory. Ah, at least it's finished for now. Well, I'll be getting a timing belt put on it soon but that's no biggie. I think 400 to have the belt and a new water pump installed.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 pm

This is downtown a few days ago. 6,300 feet above sea level in the rocky mountains and hardly any snow. I've hardly ridden my snowmobile this year.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah, that really doesn't look like much snow. I woulda thought there would be a bunch more.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm

five to six feet of snow should be on the ground now. Basically it's no snow.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Well, the stereo in the Spyder died at some point between the middle of last week and yesterday. Which is a pisser because it was a decent stereo. And I know, I could slap a decent system in it for not much. I know - I used to install car stereos back in the late 80s/early 90s when the Bass Craze swept the country. But I don't need all that. It's a convertible so the factory stereo is just fine for me.

Anyways, I changed every gd fuse on the car - inside and under the hood. Nope. Took it and had the alternator tested. Nope. So I just picked up another factory unit from ebay for 30 bucks with shipping. It's described as fully functional so I'm covered by the ebay guarantee if it's shit. Should be here close to next weekend. If I swap it out and it doesn't work then I've got bigger problems.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Zahzoo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Tunes are a must have in a convertible!!
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Yeah, I think so too. I could have gotten a new kick ass stereo put in it but I like the way the factory one looks. And the factory one is just fine for me. So we'll see if this sumbitch works when it gets here and if so then I'll be happy.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion forum