Retro Lounge Garage

Re: Retro Lounge Garage

Postby Zahzoo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:43 am

2014 Camaro Z/28 - $75,000 list price!!

The all-new 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 has been priced at $75,000, including a $995 destination charge and gas guzzler tax, making it one of the most expensive cars ever offered by the bowtie brand. The asking price is certainly quite the leap over the more powerful Camaro ZL1’s $55k sticker, but the Camaro Z/28 comes fully equipped and features some of the best performance items money can buy.

The car has just one option: a $1,150 comfort package that adds air conditioning and a six-speaker sound system (the stock Camaro Z/28 has a single speaker). Those niceties were removed on the standard car to help save weight. Also gone is the tire-inflator kit (except for Rhode Island and New Hampshire because of legal reasons), sound deadening and high-intensity discharge lamps.

The key stats of the Camaro Z/28 are a 505-horsepower 7.0-liter LS7 V-8, a Tremec six-speed manual transmission, a limited-slip differential with a helical gear set, carbon ceramic brakes, Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires wrapped around forged 19-inch alloys, Recaro seats and a 300-pound weight advantage over the 4,120-pound ZL1.

The Camaro Z/28 is also one of the first production cars fitted with race-proven, spool-valve dampers, which allow four-way damping control, enabling engineers to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. Additional chassis changes include stiffer spring and bushing rates for improved cornering response.

Extensive testing was done at Germany’s Nürburgring, where the car posted a lap time of 7:37.47 in the rain. Despite the wet surface, it still beat the times of cars like the Type 991 Porsche 911 Carrera S and Audi R8 V10.

Sales commence this month, with the first deliveries due in the spring. The very first example, the car bearing VIN #0001, will be auctioned off to the highest bidder at a Barrett Jackson auction taking place in Scottsdale, Arizona on January 18.

[img]
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby Johann Shmidt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:36 pm

It's nice to see we're at least trying to make better cars. I wish I had my Ranchero back now but it's not so hot I need a/c right now but I'll be glad I do in a few months. It get's too fucking hot here to not have a/c. The Ranchero was mechanically sound but it was a bitch to get in and out of in parking lots due to it's long assed doors. If a car was next to it I could barely get the door open far enough to get in or out.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 pm

75 grand for a Camaro. To hell with that. I can name off a list of cars I'd drop 75 grand on and 15 years from now would be able to recoup most of my investment. And what's the point of buying a 75 grand Camaro? Not drag racing. If it's to have a weekend warrior race car, you'd be better off buying a used Elise.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Johann Shmidt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

If you think cars loose there value quick here's something to think about. My friends step mother gave him a new, never used power chair. Her mother paid 5 grand for it. I put it on Craig's list for 1500.00 but I haven't gotten a single call yet. There's already a shitload of them for even less.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Von Halen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Just watched the new episode of Graveyard Carz. I'd love to work at that place. They do some serious high end stuff. The owner comes off as a douche, but I don't believe he really is. He proposed the show to the networks, and they told him there needed to be more drama. I don't like that, as I'd much rather that time be spent detailing the builds of the great Mopars. Unfortunately, the only way to get these shows on the air, is to add bullshit to them.
Von Halen
Opening Act

Postby DONNIEP » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah, you're right. These guys don't just "fix em up". These are down to the last nut and bolt restos. Last nite they spent too much time showing them looking for the battery for a Cuda. I don't care where the freaking replica yellow cap battery is - I want to see the car being built! It is an excellent show though, nonsense notwithstanding.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Television is all about generating ratings. People who are serious builders who get a television show get frustrated down the road because making the television gets in the way of the reality of really doing a project. Television will turn people into fags. Just look at Orange Country Chopper or these pawn shop show. They have all become faggots.

If you are interested in real restoration and fabrication it's on websites or in informative videos someone has produced. It's not on TV.

As far as the new cars go there are problems with them. They are making more and more parts out of plastic. I was working on a ten year old BMW a friend needed help with and the plastic manifold is cracking. Don't think a plastic replacement is cheap. Also, more and more is computer controlled. Now here's the real stupidity. Many of the new cars don't have a replacable fuel filter. I just changed the one on my daughter's Toyota. The car was running like shit and that was the fix. On some of the newer Toyotas I would have had to replace the whole fuel pump because that's where they are putting the filter now. Unbelievable.

People are going to buy these cars new. Drive them for a 100,000 miles and then they will start to get too expensive to maintain and they will go to the scrap yard. So there is going to be demand for older cars that are in good shape. My bug will just continue to go up in value. I wish I would have bought a bunch of Porsche 911's and just sat on them.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Zahzoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Track-n-go... cool idea!!

Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby DONNIEP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 pm

That is too awesome!! You could have all kinds of fun with that set up! I mean, you could pretty much go anywhere. Wonder how it does in mud? Anyways, you could raise some serious hell in the snow with that thing!
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Zahzoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:40 pm

It’s a chance to own a piece of movie star and muscle car history.

A 1972 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible once owned by the late actor James Gandolfini will be crossing the block at next week’s Barrett-Jackson auctions in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The bamboo-colored drop top is just one of 130 that were equipped with the optional Hurst 3-speed performance pack, and is powered by a 1977 Olds 350 Rocket V8 crate engine with 310 hp.

The interior is finished in a 70’s-classy two-tone saddle leatherette, and the car is loaded with air conditioning, power steering, power brakes and power windows…all impressive features in the day.

The 442 was last sold at auction in 2011 for $37,500, which now looks like it could’ve been a huge bargain. After Gandolfini’s death last year, a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban his character drove on “The Sopranos” sold at the Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas auction in October for $110,000.

The Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auctions begin January 12th, and you can keep up with all of the action on Speed.
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion forum