Van Halen rumored to be recording new album

Get Yo Groove On

Van Halen rumored to be recording new album

Postby Little Texan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 am

They're rumored to be recording a new album, Dave is a full fledged member of the band and not a contract player, and they're rumored to be going on a 40th anniversary tour next year with both Roth and Hagar.

https://themusicuniverse.com/van-halen- ... tour-2018/
Little Texan
Headliner

Re: Van Halen rumored to be recording new album

Postby Funkmonkey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 am

But what's the point? You want to see a geriatric Ed attempt to scissor kick on stage? And you want to see old man Mario Brother Roth climb up on the drum riser with his cane and jump off?
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Little Texan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 am

I don't believe the part where they're going to tour with both Dave and Sammy. That's not going to work! Those two can't stand each other and aren't going to make it through a few shows, much less a whole tour without coming to blows. Dave isn't going to share the spotlight with Sammy, his ego is too big. No, it's a hare brained idea that isn't going to work, therefore, I have to call bullshit on that part of it. Oh, and Sammy said he won't do it with Michael Anthony being involved. Do you seriously think Ed is going to kick his son Cartman to the curb in favor of Michael Anthony, which he can't stand? Not happening!

As far as touring at their age, The Rolling Stones are still touring! I say do it as long as they are able, but Dave's not going to have a voice left the next tour. He was struggling quite a bit the last time out.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:08 am

Little Texan wrote:I don't believe the part where they're going to tour with both Dave and Sammy. That's not going to work! Those two can't stand each other and aren't going to make it through a few shows, much less a whole tour without coming to blows. Dave isn't going to share the spotlight with Sammy, his ego is too big. No, it's a hare brained idea that isn't going to work, therefore, I have to call bullshit on that part of it. Oh, and Sammy said he won't do it without Michael Anthony being involved. Do you seriously think Ed is going to kick his son Cartman to the curb in favor of Michael Anthony, which he can't stand? Not happening!

As far as touring at their age, The Rolling Stones are still touring! I say do it as long as they are able, but Dave's not going to have a voice left the next tour. He was struggling quite a bit the last time out.

There, fixed that for you. Great points; Roth is not going to share the stage. But he did do the Sam and Dave tour.

As far as Rolling Stones go, Mick Jagger was never known for the vocal gymnastics and screams DLR did and has to continue doing to still fullfill everyone's image of DLR. So Jagger can keep doing concerts in his advance geriatric age without hurting himself. DLR has to reinvent himself into something else because he can't sing well anymore let alone scream like he did in the 70/80's.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Little Texan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 am

At this point, I'd prefer they just call it a career if MA isn't going to be involved in the album or tour. Eddie recycling old ideas and Dave singing like a strangled cat just ain't cutting it anymore.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm

I still think EVH should just go find a rhythm section and just do different stuff, just whatever he feels like instead of rehashing all this VH stuff. Is it really that important that he continues to play arenas? Is is ego still that fragile?
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Little Texan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Funkmonkey wrote:I still think EVH should just go find a rhythm section and just do different stuff, just whatever he feels like instead of rehashing all this VH stuff. Is it really that important that he continues to play arenas? Is is ego still that fragile?

I'm not so sure that would work, either. The guy seems creatively tapped out, thus the recycling of 40 year old demos on new albums.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 pm

That's just my point. Just branch out and do whatever feels good and he enjoys. Its not like he needs the money.

Ritchie Blackmore is doing folk rock / renaissance music now, just because... he wants too. Apparently, he's having a great time doing these gigs. Not saying EVH has to do this specifically. But Blackmore found something to reinvent himself with. At this point, why would he care about the money?

phpBB [video]
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Little Texan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Funkmonkey wrote:That's just my point. Just branch out and do whatever feels good and he enjoys. Its not like he needs the money.

Ritchie Blackmore is doing folk rock / renaissance music now, just because... he wants too. Apparently, he's having a great time doing these gigs. Not saying EVH has to do this specifically. But Blackmore found something to reinvent himself with. At this point, why would he care about the money?

phpBB [video]

So, he needs to put out a tuba instrumental album? :mrgreen:

I doubt Ed has enough creative brain cells left to put out a decent album of material, Van Halen or otherwise.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Did you say tuba?

Of course you did.

phpBB [video]
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Next

Return to Music