Van Halen rumored to be recording new album

Get Yo Groove On

Re: Van Halen rumored to be recording new album

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 pm

I'll believe VH is doing anything when I see it. Frankly, I'd rather see a Dave clone up there singing instead of Dave. I would say "unless Dave works on his voice" but that's a waste of breath. The guy couldn't care less at this point and I actually feel the same way. I'm not plunking down 135 bucks to go see that show again, especially with that walrus playing bass. I might buy a new record if it didn't suck but the chances of that happening are pretty slim at this point.

Everybody always says Sammy killed Van Halen. Nah, Ed and Dave killed Van Halen and they haven't tried to bring it back to life yet.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:02 am

The other problem with new music is no one gets paid for it anymore, or at least not like they used to in the 70's where the Van Halen mindset comes from. Who wants to write new music when it gets bootlegged even before it gets released?
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Little Texan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Funkmonkey wrote:The other problem with new music is no one gets paid for it anymore, or at least not like they used to in the 70's where the Van Halen mindset comes from. Who wants to write new music when it gets bootlegged even before it gets released?

No one buys albums, anymore, and CD's are going the way of the dinosaur. Have you perused the CD isle of a store, lately? What used to be two isles is now the fraction of one isle. Van Halen really shouldn't bother at this point if they can't put out any original material or something better than the last mediocre album of 40 year old throw away demos with new stupid lyrics by crazy Uncle Dave.
Little Texan
Headliner

Postby Zahzoo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:06 am

For Van Halen... making new music should NOT be about money any more. They've made their riches and can still generate income if they'd go out and perform.

At their ages... they should be making new music for only one realistic, damn reason... Because they still can!! Every day the window on that ability shrinks at an amazing rate. There's nothing to wait for... other than death.
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Zahzoo wrote:For Van Halen... making new music should NOT be about money any more. They've made their riches and can still generate income if they'd go out and perform.

At their ages... they should be making new music for only one realistic, damn reason... Because they still can!! Every day the window on that ability shrinks at an amazing rate. There's nothing to wait for... other than death.

See, that's the problem with Van Halen. Yeah the music was awesome but the stage show and lifestyle they perpetuated was just as important, if not more so, as the music. Everybody loves seeing the old footage of Van Halen at the US Fest. I know I do. But the show started off horribly and Dave was truly wasted that nite. And that's why everybody loves it. That was what Van Halen represented to most of us. You take that music and put a friggin super hero up there literally flying all over the place and that's Van Halen. And it was a bar that was set so high that there's only a short period of time those guys can pull it off.

Of course everybody gets older and yeah Dave can't fly anymore. So what's left? Well, the music. And Dave doesn't try to even give a respectable vocal performance these days. Yes, he does get up there and try to put on what he thinks is a good show visually, but these days it comes across gayer than Liberace. So what's left? The music. And if they ain't got that then I'm gonna stay home and watch the US Fest.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I dig on DLR just being crazy Uncle Dave that puts out bizarre videos talking about his experiences and travels. I find that more interesting than trying to recreate the same VH show from the 70's/80's. I agree they have more money than they'll ever know what to do with. DLR said himself he can just live off the interest alone. So, a message to all of them: Just go do something different, something fun, do what you want to do and tell us about in a youtube series of videos. I'm ok with that.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Zahzoo » Sat May 06, 2017 7:28 am

Been listening to ADKOT a bit lately since it's in my iTunes and I won some Sony Big Bass headphones... Never noticed Dave's dog Russ barking in Honey Baby Sweetie Doll...
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby Funkmonkey » Sat May 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Zahzoo wrote:Been listening to ADKOT a bit lately since it's in my iTunes and I won some Sony Big Bass headphones... Never noticed Dave's dog Russ barking in Honey Baby Sweetie Doll...

I've read some comments that say ADKOT picks up where 1984 left off... I dunno... I can hear a lot of the classic licks and sounds of the early albums in She's The Woman... And the China Town solo gave me 1984 flashbacks... But the overall album sound sounds like it was mastered using the same 5150 template...

But I agree that there was an attempt to rock out like the classic albums...
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Funkmonkey » Sat May 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Zahzoo wrote:Never noticed Dave's dog Russ barking in Honey Baby Sweetie Doll...

Does HoneyBabySweetieDoll remind you of Loss of Control... ?
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Funkmonkey » Sat May 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Stay Frosty reminds me of the love-child made from the union of Ice Cream Man and So This Is Love...

Big Troubles, I mean Big River, really got my attention... Sounded really good, and I'm glad that song finally got the major release polish and groove it deserved...
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Music