Arcade Game Sites

Play Time!

Re: Arcade Game Sites

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Galaga was great. That was in the club house of our country club. I would play that all summer waiting for a tee time or a court to open up. Yeah I hear you on the cabinet. I always wanted one of those old pinball machines that had the numbers that would mechanically flip. I loved those as a kid. My mom used to be on a bowling league and I would play pinball while she bowled.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 am

DONNIEP wrote:I've tried playing some of my old favorites online. I wasn't very good at it. I just can't get past the old fashioned stand up game cabinet with the joystick and a fire button and maybe one or two other buttons. For example, Galaga. That's one of my all time favorite games. And when you play it on a full size cabinet, it's a full body experience. You got the visual and the sounds and you're working that joystick all over the place and banging the living hell out of the fire button. And while you're doing all that you're leaning this way and jerking that way, really getting into it. I just can't play that game without a full size cabinet. But lots of the others are awesome online!

Some of the sites can interface with joystick and other peripheral controllers. Some people like to use their Playstation or Xbox controllers. But, yeah, using keyboard buttons is tough on some of these games.
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Funkmonkey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Playing some of the arcade games again really gives me a renewed sense of how much they were designed to end your game really fast. Or at least make your game end after just long enough that you wouldn't say it was a rip-off. I wonder if there were executives at Bally, Williams, Konami, Atari, or other development shops in the 80's that did the math, "Let's see, if we make the game just hard enough that a player's game lasts no more than a minute, and each cabinet is active for 8 hours, then we can make a maximum of $120 per day per cabinet. Or $3,600 per month." I remember some games I played I didn't last more than 30 seconds.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Funkmonkey » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Mr. Fantastic wrote:Galaga was great. That was in the club house of our country club. I would play that all summer waiting for a tee time or a court to open up. Yeah I hear you on the cabinet. I always wanted one of those old pinball machines that had the numbers that would mechanically flip. I loved those as a kid. My mom used to be on a bowling league and I would play pinball while she bowled.

So how do you pronounce Galaga?
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Gal-uh-guh. At least that's the best way I can think of trying to spell it phonetically.

I've talked about this before, but kids today really are missing out on the whole social experience that used to go along with playing video games. Most arcades had a snack bar that sold drinks and food and you'd hit the arcade while you were cruising for chicks at the mall. Plus, being good at games was seen as cool back then. I remember my favorite Galaga machine at the local Putt Putt. Me and thisnone chick and this other guy would always have our initials up on the board, every week. I'd usually run into the chick on Friday or Saturday nite and we'd dominate that machine for an hour or so and people would stand around and watch and shake their heads and get all excited when we'd beat each other. And we never played two up. Never. That ruined the rhythm of the game. I didn't know it at the time, but most women have better hand/eye coordination than men. That's why most of them are shocked to find out they're great natural shooters when you take them shooting for the first time.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:53 pm

And speaking of the old days and the social experience, around here there's not really any place the teenagers hang out. Which sucks for them. We hung out at the mall and Putt Putt and cruised Franklin Boulevard. Kids around here these days don't do that. They go places together as a group, like to Cook Out after the ball games. But that's about it really. Maybe it's because they have all the same entertainment options at their fingertips that we had to go out of the house to get. For example, when we'd go shopping we'd go to the mall and hang out there. And my kids friends do go to the mall, but once they know their sizes at X store they do most of their shopping online. Same with movies and obviously with games.

And that sucks, even if they don't realize it. I mean, something has been lost along the way, what with everybody being interconnected via their cell phones. The whole idea of catching up with your friends on the weekend while hanging out and being kids is kinda gone. And I'm. It just waxing nostalgic here, I think if there was some place all the kids could hang out at, in big groups, they'd love it. I mean these kids don't even cruise these days!!! Hell, they don't even really seem to get the same sense of freedom that having a car brought us. Think about all the time we spent cruising and hanging out and having fun - they don't do that and most of my kid's friends think it's a silly idea - to drive up and down the boulevard, yelling out the window at your buddies, meeting up and taking over the Dairy Queen parking lot, all that stuff. Hell, I wonder if people still cruise the strip at Myrtle Beach?
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Mr. Fantastic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Kids still go out. Cruising ended because the gang problems got bad and ended it. A lot of cool stuff actually started ended in the 80's because the gang problems got worse. We have fond memories of the 80's but at the time it seemed like the world was changing for the worse but hey I lived in a community people didn't lock their doors. I think the smart phones multiplied the problem television became. Television became a time wasting distraction. It didn't make people any smarter. Most people just watched junk on it. The internet isn't making the average schmuck smarter either and it has huge potential to do so. Smart phones may have a more negative impact on society than a positive. They really can become personal tracking and monitoring devices and a social distraction. All this stuff really could go away. I would miss some of the convenience but hell if I can live comfortable, keep from getting bored and get laid, I'm pretty much happy.
Mr. Fantastic
Headliner

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:45 pm

DONNIEP wrote:Gal-uh-guh. At least that's the best way I can think of trying to spell it phonetically.

I read an article (I try to find it) that mentioned the creators of Galaga said it was a sequel to Galaxian. So they pronounced it Guh-lag-uh, to have the same accented syllable to Galaxian.

DONNIEP wrote:I've talked about this before, but kids today really are missing out on the whole social experience that used to go along with playing video games. Most arcades had a snack bar that sold drinks and food and you'd hit the arcade while you were cruising for chicks at the mall. Plus, being good at games was seen as cool back then. I remember my favorite Galaga machine at the local Putt Putt. Me and thisnone chick and this other guy would always have our initials up on the board, every week. I'd usually run into the chick on Friday or Saturday nite and we'd dominate that machine for an hour or so and people would stand around and watch and shake their heads and get all excited when we'd beat each other. And we never played two up. Never. That ruined the rhythm of the game. I didn't know it at the time, but most women have better hand/eye coordination than men. That's why most of them are shocked to find out they're great natural shooters when you take them shooting for the first time.

Yeah, that was the big thing was to go to the arcade. It became the hang out for people who couldn't drink yet, and also those who could.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Previous

Return to Gadgets & Games