Postby Funkmonkey » Sat May 06, 2017 9:47 pm

I found a grainy Dragon's Lair to play.

http://www.playr.org/play/dragons_lair/863

Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Re: Dragon's Lair

Postby Izzy Moreno » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 am

Dragon's Lair 1 & 2 and Space Ace are available in High-Def on Steam, but it's 10 bucks a piece and the biggest discount they got so far was 50% each.

I keep holding out for a 75%, two-fiddy seems like a proper price for something that old, and it's a buck less than what you give the Loch Ness monster to go away.
Big time playa.
Izzy Moreno
Swinger

Postby Funkmonkey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 pm

There's guys out there that restore and collect 80's arcade games. They have the original cabnets and get the games working again. Apparently, parts are out there, and the hardware is simple enough to refurbish. Check out the guy in the beginning of the video; his whole basement is an arcade of all the games he's restored and collected. In this video he's checking out an original Dragon's Lair.

phpBB [video]
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Izzy Moreno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:37 am

Funkmonkey wrote:There's guys out there that restore and collect 80's arcade games. They have the original cabnets and get the games working again. Apparently, parts are out there, and the hardware is simple enough to refurbish. Check out the guy in the beginning of the video; his whole basement is an arcade of all the games he's restored and collected. In this video he's checking out an original Dragon's Lair.

Well, the hardware can be anything, that's why it's so simple. Sure, if it's the original hardware, it may be slightly more difficult, but it's basically just a board inside a woonden cabinet connected to a screen, controllers, and a couple of coin slots.

The hard part is really finding the original cabinet and functioning board.

I tried finding a generic cabinet, however the vast majority of them have been destroyed quite a few years ago, when arcade machines stopped being profitable. With a generic cabinet, you can hook up a cheap computer to a CRT, wire it to the joystick and buttons, and have pretty much every arcade game until the early 2000s, using MAME.

Hell, you can even put a few complete console/old computer libraries in there.
Big time playa.
Izzy Moreno
Swinger

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:26 am

Izzy Moreno wrote:
Funkmonkey wrote:There's guys out there that restore and collect 80's arcade games. They have the original cabnets and get the games working again. Apparently, parts are out there, and the hardware is simple enough to refurbish. Check out the guy in the beginning of the video; his whole basement is an arcade of all the games he's restored and collected. In this video he's checking out an original Dragon's Lair.

Well, the hardware can be anything, that's why it's so simple. Sure, if it's the original hardware, it may be slightly more difficult, but it's basically just a board inside a woonden cabinet connected to a screen, controllers, and a couple of coin slots.

The hard part is really finding the original cabinet and functioning board.

I tried finding a generic cabinet, however the vast majority of them have been destroyed quite a few years ago, when arcade machines stopped being profitable. With a generic cabinet, you can hook up a cheap computer to a CRT, wire it to the joystick and buttons, and have pretty much every arcade game until the early 2000s, using MAME.

Hell, you can even put a few complete console/old computer libraries in there.

Don't stop there, you can have all of that on your laptop and take it where ever you want to go.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Izzy Moreno » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:11 am

Funkmonkey wrote:
Don't stop there, you can have all of that on your laptop and take it where ever you want to go.

I do. If I had a cabinet, I could hook it up to the CRT screen and the joystick/buttons & I'd be set.
Big time playa.
Izzy Moreno
Swinger

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Izzy Moreno wrote:
Funkmonkey wrote:

I do. If I had a cabinet, I could hook it up to the CRT screen and the joystick/buttons & I'd be set.

The thing is, having all these cabinets running looks pretty darn impressive.

phpBB [video]
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Izzy Moreno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:31 am

Here's a DIY arcade cabinet, if you're interested.

Sorry about the accent, he's Portuguese (I don't sound like that).

Big time playa.
Izzy Moreno
Swinger

Postby Izzy Moreno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:34 am

Funkmonkey wrote:The thing is, having all these cabinets running looks pretty darn impressive.

The maintenance involved must be pretty darn impressive, too. Then again, fixing them must be as much, if not more, of a hobby of his as is playing them.
Big time playa.
Izzy Moreno
Swinger

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Izzy Moreno wrote:Here's a DIY arcade cabinet, if you're interested.

Sorry about the accent, he's Portuguese (I don't sound like that).

I dig on how he cleeks on that arkid game console. Seriously, though it sounds like he really enjoys what he's doing. More power to him. I love it when people improvise and make stuff like that.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Next

Return to Gadgets & Games