Guns - Let's See 'em!!

Play Time!

Re: Guns - Let's See 'em!!

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:15 pm

I saw an ad in a gun magazine for 30-06 Springfield ammo going for 25 cents a round. But I passed when I saw it was from South Korea. Nothing aganst Koreans, but buying ammo from foreign countries makes me nervous.
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Funkmonkey wrote:Help me out here. What is the purpose for the SXT or Black Talon ammo? Does it change how the round penetrates the target? Or change trajectory?

No, it's just another hollow point design. The thing that sets it apart is the sharpness of the "talons" once the hollow point expands. Of course, sharper edges may do more damage so that's good. The thing to keep in mind is that when it was first developed it was considered the premier defensive round. Now, it's still an awesome round. But I can't say it's any more effective than any other premium defense round. However...it is still a Black Talon and that's why people like me buy them lol.

Oh, and one common misconception people have about the old Black Talons is they believe they were Teflon coated. They were never Teflon coated. They were coated with Lubalox which helps prevent barrel fouling. That's all. The coating didn't give the rounds any magic ability to penetrate soft body armor any more so than any other equivalent round. But, the media called them Teflon coated and named the rounds Cop Killers, which pretty much sealed their fate. You may remember hearing about Cop Killers in one of the Lethal Weapon movies. Or you might have seen the movie Ronin which depicts normal rounds being coated with Teflon because Teflon has the magical ability to change the round into a super penetrating/armor piercing round. Neither is true.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:51 pm

And one other misconception - people seem to believe Black Talons were banned or made illegal. Neither is true. Several states have laws on the books that make it illegal to own Teflon coated bullets, my state is one of them. So people put two and two together and came up with 37 and the legend that BTs are illegal was born.

The funny thing about all this is a lot of people don't know WInchester still produces the round, minus the black Lubalox coating and with some improvements to terminal ballistics. And that helps drive the price of original Black Talons through the roof. You can buy them online but they are high as camel cock. Some people just want the old BTs for nostalgia sake, or to collect, or just so they can say they have them.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Lastly, I'd like to have an old box of the original BTs. I have a buddy who has three boxes he bought back in the day. He keeps them solely for the cool factor. He'd never load those in a carry piece and neither would I, quite frankly. Why not? They're not illegal so why not? Well, even in a state like mine that has an iron clad Castle Doctrine, if I had to shoot somebody and if the prosecutor in the area was a wacked out anti gun nut, chances are pretty good she's gonna make my life a living hell. Why? "Because only a psycho would carry Cop Killers I their guns!!" That's what the prosecutor could say. In ther words it's all about how it looks. Just like if I had to shoot someone that's anything other than lily white with my Rebel M&P - I'm gonna catch hell for it, simply because there's a Confederate Battle Flag laser engraved on the end plate. Neither the bullet nor the gun would change what would be a clean shoot - completely within the law. But the appearances alone would be enough to cause you all sorts of hell.

And no, I ain't taking my CBF off my M&P. Or off my Rebel AR. This is still America and at least for now I have my First Amendment rights.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 pm

When hunting black powder season, I use an inline muzzle loader rifle. I like to use Powerbelt bullets which are hollow point. They work very well, and the green "skirt" at the bottom allows me to forgo wadding or patches. But I noticed I get some tumble every now and then. The air rushing into the hole, I think, can have some odd effects on the travel of the bullet.

Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:30 pm

But I switched to Powerbelt bullets that have plastic pointed tips, Aero Tips, and I've found they fly much better. The tips were supposed to improve the aerodynamics of the bullet without significantly changing the mushrooming of the hollow point on impact.

Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Not having shot hand guns as much, I've wondered why I haven't seen hollow point handgun ammo come with some kind of plastic tip to improve the aerodynamics of the handgun bullet. Would it matter? I'm going after game up to 100-150 yards away, or maybe 200 yards away. Handguns are a quarter that distance?
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Previous

Return to Gadgets & Games