BB-8 Droid - This Is About As Close As It Gets

Play Time!

Re: BB-8 Droid - This Is About As Close As It Gets

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 pm

That right there is the kind of commercial that makes me want to buy a ps4 and that game. It's basically a lot of our childhoods on screen, just as I was saying, and then it becomes real. You see that X Wing rise up outside that window and it's fuckin real man! And what would you do? I'd do exactly what that guy did - I'd jump out onto it and get down to some serious business. No crap that commercial got me choked up I was so excited.

Now - back to Disney. If they can create a ride like Mission Space but puts you in an X Wing cockpit it would be the biggest hit attraction on the planet. Their Star Tours attraction pretty much puts you in the Star Wars universe, but your with a bunch of other people and away from the screen. If it was set up sorta like Mission Space but for singles and not groups or three or four at a time it would be like literally being in the movie.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:33 pm

I've got to walk into the Cantina. And they'd better be playing that song!
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Here's an article showing some full size X Wings

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/07 ... inal-prop/
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Anyone know where the original 1977 X-wing went?
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:58 am

I searched but couldn't find that article linked in the one I posted. I'd assume that ship was destroyed at some point. They really just build these things to be "good enough" to survive the shoot and look just "good enough" on film. I doubt one would still be around 37 years later. But if stored properly...who knows.

I've searched and searched and can't find any info on it but there was an X Wing built back in the early 80s that was trucked around to various malls around the country and put on display inside. It came somewhere near here but for whatever reason I didn't get to go see it.

The only thing I could find that might be it is this picture below. Now, I can't tell from the shot of the surroundings look like a modern mall or if it's actually from the 80s and the quality of the pic is really poor so that makes it seem to be old but who knows.

DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:03 am

Now that I really look around, that's an old wooden ladder and those mirrors on the columns scream 1980s in my opinion. Those slatted wall pieces look pretty retro to me too. So maybe this is the fabled X Wing from the 80s mall tour. I've been looking for a picture of it forever. When I was a kid I assumed it was a full size one. But it wouldn't make any sense to build one that large. And as you can see in the pic that one is meant to be disassembled and out back together. So I'm hoping this is the real deal from back in the day.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:30 am

Looks like the blaster on the upper right is firing. Nice retro pic find.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:17 am

It's got a handle to raise the canopy too. So maybe kids were allowed to get in and have their pictures taken.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:21 am

However, pretty soon, you'll have to fork over the $100 to get into a Disney theme park if you want that picture in an X-Wing. Oh, by the way, it's an extra $50 to buy the picture...

There's big business in selling people's childhood back to them.

Kids getting into the X-Wing these days just don't know.

Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:52 am

Dude I'd pay the money to get into a full size X Wing with a working fully instrumented cockpit. They should have it sitting there, hooked up like its being pre flighted with some smoke coming out of it like its being loaded with lights hydrogen and liquid oxygen and stuff and it having an internal engine noise you can hear and that vibrates the entire ship, like the engines are warming up. That would be awesome! You'd get to strap on a helmet and hit the canopy switch to close it and inside your helmet you'd hear the flight controllers giving out orders and responses from the other pilots.

Disney seriously should hire me as a consultant. I'd make Star Wars Land have every cool thing you can imagine. All of it would be geared at grown up kids like me. And the young people would love it too.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Gadgets & Games