BB-8 Droid - This Is About As Close As It Gets

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Here he is - check it out:

phpBB [video]
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Re: BB-8 Droid - This Is About As Close As It Gets

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Ok, my only complaint is it isn't larger. If it was the size of the real droid used in the movie I would buy one in a second. But as it is I love it and really want one. Maybe after Christmas the price will come down.

It can roam around autonomously and answer voice commands. That's really cool. You could set it to roam and then call it to you and sure enough it'll come find you. It's just about like having a real Star Wars droid in your house.

I think they should expand their line of premium droids for sale. R2s would be pretty expensive, but if they could get the price right and make it pretty much autonomous it would sell like crazy. I'd take mine to the mall, and pretty much everywhere I go.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Will it actually work that way? You notice the projected message they showed on a tablet, not the same frame as the droid. It actually notices things, moves around them, and acts like a droid?

#cynical
#burnedbytoomuchChinesecrap
Brass Monkey. That funky monkey! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=drjGn_JpTOk
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:20 pm

No, it doesn't project anything. But I don't know if it actually sees or just has proximity sensors of some sort. But it is programmed to "learn" from interaction with you. And it's programmed with emotional responses that translate into actions you can observe. So it gives the appearance of being a real droid from the SW universe. And honestly so long as it appears to be real that's good enough for me for now.

I find it interesting that as advanced as the tech is in Star Wars, they didn't invent human looking droids, like the ones in Alien. Yet earthlings seem obsessed with with making lifelike robots. Why not just make functional robots that look like, well, robots. C3PO was somewhat human shaped but there was no attempt to make him or his series of droids look more human.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:30 pm

DONNIEP wrote: Why not just make functional robots that look like, well, robots. C3PO was somewhat human shaped but there was no attempt to make him or his series of droids look more human.

From an engineering standpoint, my guess is Disney made the call going for dependability and getting the droid to market. They wanted a gadget that everyone could buy (read: afford) and is simplistic to look futuristic yet dependable and will work. Making C3P0 work will cost big bucks and require a lot of complicated engineering to look, feel, and act Star Wars real. I don't think anyone is going to settle for the same expensive plastic late 70's action figures. In 2015, on the 7th Star Wars movie, it's got to be spectacular. And Disney needs to recoup their $4 Billion investment buying Star Wars quickly.
Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Funk - read this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/3/925346 ... lease-date

It's funny how they describe - kind of like owning a cat. That's exactly how I explained it to my daughter - that it would be like having a little pet or cat that you could call and pet or whatever.

What's amazing is I've watched some videos on YouTube of it and most of the people have this immediate emotional reaction to the droid. I did too, just from seeing it on video. I don't know what it is, the thing just seems so cute that maybe you want it to be real. Maybe I'm just so used to seeing them act like this in the movies that I'm sort of conditioned to believe it's real.

I think if Sphero can continue to bring product to market that bring out this sort of emotional response in their owners I can see this really exploding and perhaps most people really will have a robotic companion.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:51 pm

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-wars-total-franchise-revenue/

Here’s a website that purports to have the facts on Star Wars revenue. According to the website, the Star Wars franchise has brought in $27 Billion dollars to date. Among that number, box office sales were only $4.3 Billion. Toy sales, however, were $12 Billion. This arguably was George Luca’s true genius. He marketed the toys that really brought in the tremendous revenue. Disney knows this, and probably has already run these numbers long ago to make the deal with Lucasfilm. According to the website, last year Star Wars franchise brought in $1.5 Billion in games and toys. So Disney has to get cracking to recoup their investment so they can start showing earnings on Star Wars. I believe the Stock Market will not be patient waiting for Disney to pull a profit on their investment. So they need to make a big win up front real quick to keep everyone interested and maintain stock value.

Having said that, I think they will maximize their revenue selling lots of expensive, but not too expensive, little things then a smaller number of really expensive super premo droids.

Maybe the el Primo Droids come later once Star Wars become pure profit to Disney…

Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Yeah Lucas was a genius with the merchandising. I remember when I was a kid and the toys for each movie came out and I'd start making my Christmas list. And me and my friends actually played for hours and hours with the things. It was a great way to keep the excitement and interest in the movies at a fever pitch, especially since you couldn't see the movies once they left theaters, not until the late 80s. And back then movies ran in the theaters for a long time so you'd go see it over and over again cause it's gonna be a long time before you can see it again.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:20 pm

And as soon as I made that last post I see this commercial on TV for the first time...

phpBB [video]
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Funkmonkey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:27 pm

DONNIEP wrote:And as soon as I made that last post I see this commercial on TV for the first time...

phpBB [video]

My guess is you ain't seen nuthin' yet, Donnie. Wait until the full Disney marketing blitz happens. Disney will be single handedly responsible for over a third of the entire US economy in the next couple years.

Sad, but true.

Funkmonkey
Pit Boss

Next

Return to Gadgets & Games