NASCAR

Beat the Competition

Re: NASCAR

Postby Zahzoo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 am

I agree with the focus on winning... Playing it safe and conservative via points racing is boring as hell.

Not sure what I think of the new qualifying format... it's better than the old one. But I want to see some more aggressive moves out of it.

The season is off to a great start!!! Great to see Jr carrying the momentum he had from last year. This could be his year... Nice to see some of the others rising and some of the jackasses falling...
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby Zahzoo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:44 am

Watch the 2nd half of this video... fan reactions to Jr winning the Daytona 500!!! LMAO

Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby Johann Shmidt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Zahzoo wrote:I agree with the focus on winning... Playing it safe and conservative via points racing is boring as hell.

If the focus was on winning rather than being consistent then change the points system and get rid of the chase completely. If there was a big points difference between finishing spots drivers wouldn't settle for a top five or top ten finish they'd duke it out on the final laps to get the most points possible every race to win the championship. I'd also like to see a real stock car series added to the schedule to determine a real manufacturers championship using gutted and slightly modified for safety and handling production model new cars and set a minimum number of units manufactured per year standard for eligibility to keep manufacturers from making extremely limited production runs of cars like the Superbird during the Richard Petty wins damn near every race era.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:15 pm

I like the new format for the Chase - win a race and you're in the Chase. That means between Daytona and the first race in the Chase, the guys that are in can run balls out and take all the chances you want to to keep racking up wins. Like today - LeTarte said stay out and Jr did and if he hadn't run out then he woulda won that sumbitch. And make no mistake - Jr had that sumbitch locked up if he hadn't come up short. But coming in second and out of gas??? Hell, that ain't nothing to be disappointed about. This is Jr's year.

And the same thing applies to everybody else. I was slightly concerned that the guys who win a race might ride around and save their cars until the Chase starts. But that ain't the way it's shakin' out. And I hope every winning team and all the rest of the teams FINALLY say "the hell with this!" and start racing for wins every damn week! Get out there boys! Drive the damn fenders off those sumbitches!
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Zahzoo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:27 pm

What a pisser... quart of gas short!!
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby DONNIEP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:23 pm

It was a pisser. But we all knew he was about half a lap short. But, like Jr said - you gotta take it as a positive and keep on burnin' em up every week. And honestly - coming in second and out of gas is pretty damn good. I think Jr's got his mojo back!

I hope Jr wrecks every sumbitch out there at Bristol!!
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Johann Shmidt » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:22 pm

As fast as his car was would the small loss of position stopped him from winning if he would have pitted the last time everybody else did? He might have gone back out after a quick splash of fuel like everybody else and won instead of coming in second but it was a bold move. I think this is JR's year for sure.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Johann Shmidt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:28 pm

I wonder if things would have been different had Juniors crew chief not let everyone know Junior was about a half lap short on fuel towards the end. Kesolowski obviously knew Junior was trying to conserve fuel when he started pushing him to keep the pedal to the metal till the end. If they wouldn't have let the cat out of the bag early Kesolowski might have sat back and settled for second instead of pushing the limits with his run at the end. They need to start using codes on the radio like some of the other teams do.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Zahzoo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm thinking it might have been better if Letart hadn't let Junior know he was 1/2 - 3/4 short on fuel. When he mentioned it with about 4-5 laps to go Jr started trying to conserve and he ended up allowing the 2 car to close up over a 1 second lead. Had Jr not tried to conserve he'd have still run out at about the same time but might have squeaked it to the win having the bigger lead for the 2 to pass him.

It sputtered coming out of turn 4 and then refired... If Brad wasn't on his rear end. I'm thinking Jr would have won it.
Zahzoo
Minister of Mayhem

Postby Johann Shmidt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Telling Junior wasn't a bad idea but letting the whole world in on it wasn't. When they decided not to pit for a splash of fuel on the last caution they were all in just like Darrel Waltrip said. If Junior hadn't backed off a little and saved that couple drops of fuel he did save he would have run out even earlier and been passed by a few more cars on the lead lap instead of coming in second. It turned out pretty good for him even though he didn't win but if it hadn't Kesolowski would be the points leader instead of Junior.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

PreviousNext

Return to Sports