Retro Lounge Garage

Retro Lounge Garage

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:00 pm

This is the thread where you can post all things automotive. Feel free to start a new thread too, if you like. This is just a starter where we can talk cars and trucks and motorcycles.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Re: Retro Lounge Garage

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Ok, this past June I needed to have some work done on my SUV. My best friend owns a car lot and an auto upholstery shop so he can get just about anything done that I need and he only charges me what he pays for it. So I drop off the SUV and he says, "why don't you drive this while your car is getting worked on?" Now, this car was in pretty rough shape in this picture. The paint was in bad shape, all scratched up, the top was worn out, the leather seats were ruined from years of sun damage. And the sun visors were literally hanging in shreds. But, I took it and drove it that day and took it home. And I fell in love with this thing. It was so much fun driving it and I knew it wouldn't take much in the way of cash to fix her up right. So I called him that evening and said "I gotta have this car." And he says "I'll sell it to you for what I have in it." And that was that.

Here's what it looked like the first day I drove it:

DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Now, she doesn't really look all that bad in that shot. That's because you just can't see all the scratches and dings and I sure as hell wasn't gonna snap a pic of the interior.

Over the next few months I had the top replaced, the seats recovered, interior redyed so that it looked new and had some mechanical work done. Then I had the body work done and the car painted. And I replaced every single thing I could on the car to make it basically look new.
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm

And here's a shot of the car the day I got it back from paint. Keep in mind that it still hasn't been buffed out (going in a week or so for that). So once that's done the paint will really shine.

In these shots you can see the new headlights and tail lights and turn signals. All of 'em are new and smoked. I think they turned out pretty good.

DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Here's a shot of her after paint and after I put the new aluminum fuel filler door on it. Looks pretty good, I think.

DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby DONNIEP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:07 pm

In this shot you can see the brushed aluminum dash kit I put in the car. And that shifter knob - that's a billet aluminum knob, properly threaded for the shaft. I spent around 25 bucks for it, lol. Picked it up on ebay really cheap. And works perfectly.

DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Johann Shmidt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I have my Rolls parked out front. A rare 2000 Rolls Canardly.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Postby Von Halen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:49 pm

DONNIEP wrote:Ok, this past June I needed to have some work done on my SUV. My best friend owns a car lot and an auto upholstery shop so he can get just about anything done that I need and he only charges me what he pays for it. So I drop off the SUV and he says, "why don't you drive this while your car is getting worked on?" Now, this car was in pretty rough shape in this picture. The paint was in bad shape, all scratched up, the top was worn out, the leather seats were ruined from years of sun damage. And the sun visors were literally hanging in shreds. But, I took it and drove it that day and took it home. And I fell in love with this thing. It was so much fun driving it and I knew it wouldn't take much in the way of cash to fix her up right. So I called him that evening and said "I gotta have this car." And he says "I'll sell it to you for what I have in it." And that was that.

Here's what it looked like the first day I drove it:

Do you know how I know you're ghey?
Von Halen
Opening Act

Postby DONNIEP » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Because you can see my rainbow sticker?
DONNIEP
Chairman of the Board

Postby Johann Shmidt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Nice car but little cars aren't my cup of tea. I had a Saturn Ion Redline a few years ago and it was fun to drive but I got cut off by a bus and flat spotted the front tires skidding to a stop on rough pavement and traded it in on a new Ford F-150. I have a 2000 Explorer now. It's not the Eddie Bauer but It's loaded as far as power seats, locks, windows, etc. It has a few more miles than I prefer and leaks a clear oilly substance yet it's never low on anything between oil changes. The smallest car I prefer to ride in or drive is a medium size SUV like a Tribute or an Escape. I can get in and out of my roommates 98 Vette alright but I hate sitting so low in a car like that. When we pass a semi in it I get the piss shivers every time.
Johann Shmidt
Headliner

Next

Return to General discussion forum